Tuesday, May 22, 2012

It's a Lifestyle!

Weight. A woman's favorite word...
 Basing that magic number off of my height (5'7''), I have never actually been "overweight", as classified by my BMI (Find your BMI here!), but I went through a period of time in which I was unhappy with my weight.

a "before"  picture

From the end of my senior year of high school to the end of my freshman year of college, I gained over 20 (so much for the "freshman fifteen") pounds. I went from wearing a size 7/8 to a size 11/12! It was as if I had woken up one morning with all of the extra weight. Yeah, I had giant breasts, but those aren't as great as society claims. I hated wearing pant sizes in the double digits. Ultimately, my weight and the way my clothes fit began to deteriorate my quality of life, but it took me a while to actually do something about it. I didn't want to put in the extra effort in my daily life that I knew it took to lose weight.

...However...

At the beginning of October, I started on an amazing journey to become fit. My first step was abandoning my favorite food: cheese... no more macaroni, no more cheese sticks, no more Parmesan, and no more pizza! I downloaded MyFitnessPal to my iPhone, and logged religiously. It is literally a life-changing app. Get it, seriously. Basically, it is calorie-counting machine. After a quick evaluation, the app recommended my daily calorie intake:1200. At first, that seemed impossible; an average meal at a restaurant is 1000 calories, but I did it. I also began to work out like a crazy person (like my mother), and it honestly sucked for the first month. After a while, I began to look forward to going to the gym. The first month was just an obstacle that needed to be overcome. It wasn't long until I began noticing a difference in the way my clothes were fitting, and I had lost a little over ten pounds by December. Around Christmas, my family and friends began to compliment the way I looked. It felt so great that they were noticing a difference too! All of the hard work was really paying off.

...TODAY...

I have lost 33 pounds since October!
Before I started losing weight (at the beginning of October), I weighed157 pounds... As of this morning, I weigh 124 pounds, and... I have muscle- a miracle!
My dress size? 2. BAM.
Pant size? 3/4 and 5/6... I can wear both.
Shirt size? Small. :)






I feel great.  My weight loss and lifestyle change has really impacted my relationship with Forest. We are so happy. My increased happiness and renewed confidence created an exciting spark in our relationship. We had an amazing relationship before this journey, and now it's just getting better!

I have never been so proud of myself in my life. Along with my determination to lose weight, I was also working hard in school... For the first time since high school, I received all As at UGA! Things are just getting better, and I am so happy!



5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Julia! You looked wonderful before, but now you look even more wonderful and confident! :) I've started on the same journey, so wish me luck! And MyFitnessPal is my best friend...especially the barcode entry scanner! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! I'm excited for you... It's hard work, but the results are totally worth it. :) If you ever need help, or if you ever want to go to the gym together, let me know! I always work out harder with other people. And yes, MyFitnessPal is so amazing.

      Delete
  2. Julia, I am so proud of you!! You look amazing and have inspired me to get back in shape. I was feeling that good back in 2008, and it's time for me to feel that good again. Thanks for the kick in the butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! You look great right now, but getting into shape is always good!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Julia! Congratulations! :) I'm so glad that you've achieved your goal and you're happy!! :)

    Inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete